Getting the best price on clothing requires knowledge of two key factors: when and where to shop. In the US, hundreds of discount department stores offer significant discounts on brand-name items like Nike, Adidas, Puma, and more. This article provides a list of stores that sell high-quality clothing and home goods items at much lower prices. We will also share tips and tricks on the best days to shop to maximize your savings.
Next, we will answer the following questions:
- When do discount stores mark down their items?
- How do these stores offer such deep discounts?
- Are the items sold here damaged?
- How can I stay informed about discount days at these stores?
- Do these stores offer any additional discounts?
- What are some other tips and tricks to get the best deals?
When do discount stores mark down their items?
If you enjoy bargain hunting, you may have heard of the stores: Ross, T.J. Maxx, Burlington, and Marshalls. The following are the best days to shop at these stores to get the best deals and discounts:
- Ross Dress for Less: Ross markdowns products every Monday. This means a Monday shopping trip will give you access to the best sales first and make sure you can nab all the best, cheapest items.
- T.J. Maxx: T.J. Maxx marks down items on Monday mornings, providing the largest selection of clearance items when the store opens on Mondays.
- Marshalls: The best days to shop at Marshalls are Monday or Tuesday mornings when everything is well-stocked from the overnight shipment.
- Burlington: Burlington marks down items on a rolling basis, but according to a store manager, most markdowns occur on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday each week.
How do these stores offer such deep discounts?
These off-price retailers offer incredible finds, such as discounted brand-name clothing and affordable home goods, at discounts of up to 60% off. The merchandise is not damaged; these stores provide them due to overstock or seasonal changes from the designer. Brands sell surplus items to discount chains such as Ross or T.J. Maxx at a reduced price to prepare for the next season.
How can I stay informed about discount days at these stores?
These stores offer an email sign-up program that provides exclusive offers, in-store events, new merchandise, and more. Simply sign up for the store of your choice’s marketing emails:
Do these stores offer any additional discounts?
- Ross: If you are a senior over 55, you can become a member of Ross’ Every Tuesday Club and receive a 10% discount every Tuesday. Simply mention the discount to the cashier when checking out on Tuesdays. Some locations may require proof of identification.
- T.J. Maxx: Not all T.J. Maxx locations offer a senior discount, but if they do, it is 10% off on Mondays.
What are some other tips and tricks to get the best price?
- Clearance events: Ross reportedly has a sale in late January every year unofficially known as the “0.49 cent sale,” where you can find brand name items for as little as 49 cents. Participation varies by location. T.J. Maxx has a twice-annual clearance event in January and July when they shift their inventory for winter and summer and actively get rid of out-of-season items.
- Loyalty programs: Burlington offers a loyalty program called Burlington Rewards, where you earn 1 point for every $1 you spend and receive a $10 discount for every 200 points redeemed.
- Store credit cards: If you regularly shop at T.J. Maxx and Marshalls, you may want to sign up for the TJX Rewards credit card. As a cardholder, you receive a 10% discount on your first purchase and earn 5% in rewards every time you shop. The TJX Rewards credit card can be used at all TJX stores, such as T.J. Maxx, Marshalls, and Home Goods.