Let’s continue practicing English with the history of Black Friday.
1. Watch the video
2. Read the text
What is Black Friday?
- The trend of launching the Christmas shopping season the day after Thanksgiving was probably started by the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade.
- It became unwritten rule that stores would never start Christmas promotions before the day after
- A business that is showing a profit is known as “operating in the black.”
- The local police began to use the phrase to describe the horrific traffic and overcrowded sidewalks.
- Since 2004, Black Friday has assumed the top spot and will probably not relinquish it any time soon.
3. Take the quiz
Match the word with its meaning